Yellowstone & Grand Tetons 2022 Trip
2022 Spring Opening Dates
Roads will open at 8 am on the following dates (conditions permitting):
- April 15: West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village
- May 6: East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village
- May 11: Between Cooke City, MT, on US-212 to Chief Joseph Scenic Byway (WY-296)
- May 13: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall
- May 27: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway (US-212)
Departure Day – May 20th
- Depart by 7:30 P.m.
Arrival Day – May 21st
- Arrive Cody, Wyoming at 12:00 p.m.
- Stop by Walmart Cody, Wyoming pickup cords of Wood for the week.
- Arrive Campground by 1:30 p.m.
- Setup Camp
- Relax & Acclimate
Jackson Hole & Grand Tetons – May 22nd
- Depart Camp for Grand Tetons & Jackson Hole – 6:00 a.m.
- Arrive Jackson Hole & Grand Teton’s 10:30 a.m.
- Mormon Row District
- Grand Teton National Park
- Jackson Lake Overlook
- Willow Flats Overlook
- Grand View Point hike – 6.1 miles round trip, trailhead elevation 6864 ft, elevation gain 790ft
Yellowstone National Park – May 23rd
- Storm Point Trailhead 2.4 mile loop 42′ ascent
- Natural Bridge Trailhead 1.1 miles 86′ ascent
- Mud Volcano Trailhead 0.8 mile loop 109′ ascent
- Elephant Back Mountain Trailhead 3.8 mile loop 773′ ascent
Yellowstone National Park – May 24th
- North Rim Trailhead 3.2 mile 270′ ascent
- Grand View Trailhead
- Brink of the Lower Falls 0.4 miles 0′ ascent
- Artist Point Trailhead 1.3 miles 410’ascent
Yellowstone National Park – May 25th
- Grand Prismatic Overlook Trailhead 0.3 miles 79′ ascent
- Midway Geyser Basin Trailhead 0.5 miles 232′ ascent
- Hellroaring Creek Trailhead 6.8 miles 905′ ascent
Yellowstone National Park – May 26th
Departure Day – May 27th
Projects in 2022
- 1. Lewis River Bridge
Location: Nearly 10 miles north of the South Entrance on the South Entrance Road
Access: Beginning spring 2022 until fall 2023, expect construction and delays up to 20 minutes in the Lewis River Bridge area while this road is open to wheeled vehicles (May – Nov. 1). *Occasional overnight closures will occur 7 p.m. – 9 a.m. in spring and fall (check Park Roads for current status). Nearby pullouts and the trail to Lewis River Falls will be closed during construction.
Improvements: This project includes the removal and replacement of the structurally deficient Lewis River Bridge. The existing 273-foot-long bridge, built in 1960, will be removed, and a new bridge will be constructed immediately downstream to preserve safe visitor access between South Entrance and West Thumb. Parking areas, overlooks, and walkways in this area will be updated and reconfigured to reduce traffic hazards and improve accessibility for visitors.
2. Old Faithful to West Thumb
Location: Grand Loop Road between Old Faithful and West Thumb
Access: From May 13 until November 1, 2022, expect construction and delays up to 30 minutes on the Grand Loop Road between Old Faithful and West Thumb. **Overnight closures will occur on this section of road from 8 p.m. – 6 a.m. beginning Sept. 5 until roads close for the season Nov. 1.
Improvements: This project includes the rehabilitation of 22 miles of the Grand Loop Road between Old Faithful and West Thumb, one of the most heavily traveled road corridors in the park. Construction will include repaving the full 30-foot-wide roadway segment, which was last repaved in 1987 and has deteriorated due to heavy usage and winter weather conditions. Additionally, guardrails, culverts, and other drainage structures will be replaced to enhance visitor safety.
Old Faithful 44 27 37.31 (Lat) -110 49 41.59
(Long) UTM Zone 12: 4923021 N, 513665 E
Mammoth Hot Springs 44 58 34.79 (Lat) -110 42 03.37
(Long) UTM Zone 12: 4980364 N, 523580 E
East Entrance 44 29 18.42 (Lat) -110 00 13.80
(Long) UTM Zone 12: 4926609 N, 579209 E
North Entrance 45 01 46.39 (Lat) -110 42 31.32
(Long) UTM Zone 12: 4986275 N, 522949 E
Northeast Entrance 45 00 12.09 (Lat) -110 00 04.62
(Long) UTM Zone 12: 4983809 N, 578510 E
South Entrance 44 07 56.97 (Lat) -110 39 52.83
(Long) UTM Zone 12: 4886643 N, 526824 E
West Entrance 44 39 30.27 (Lat) -111 05 49.87
(Long) UTM Zone 12: 4945010 N, 492295 E